Native Habitat Garden Tip Sheet
Garden tip sheet, grades 3–12
About Native Habitat Gardens
A native habitat garden consists of flora native to a region that subsequently attracts native fauna. Native habitat gardens give species around them a place to live, eat and sleep.
Resources for Finding and Planting Native Plants
- PlantNative has an extensive list of native plants by region.
- Attracting Wildlife With Native Plants: explains the benefits of a native habitat garden as well as the harm of exotic plants and the top ten native plants by region.
- The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has a native plant database that allows you to search native plants based on your region, the plant’s leaf characteristics, soil moisture level, and various other specifics.
Nature Works Everywhere Lessons for Native Habitat Gardens
- Gardens Activity Guide: Living Systems: Many elements are interconnected and function together to create the natural and productive living system that is a garden. The purpose of this activity guide is to teach students the ecological functions found in any natural system and model how these functions are performed by a natural area. Students learn how natural systems function to filter rainwater, provide habitat, reduce carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, improve soil and produce food. Students will also use the garden design tool at Nature Works Everywhere to map a natural area and/or create a virtual garden that models the ecological functions they have learned about.
- Gardens Activity Guide: Habitat: In this activity, students conduct a census to identify species in the garden habitat and observe their interactions with one another and their environment, focusing on the role of pollinators. Through observation and data collection, students will determine which species inhabit the garden, investigate relationships between them, and identify factors that may affect them. By tracking species over a period of time, students may discover patterns in biodiversity related to changes in the garden habitat.
- Native Habitat Garden Tip Sheet
Published April 2016, updated July 2016